Friday 11 June 2010

Dervla Hudson - A Long Time Dead

Dervla is a rad / bad ass girl from London, i met her through Chris from hang the bastard. one of the most true people i speak to.

Shes a really busy girl at the moment to i was lucky to get a interview of her! ha ha check it!



Afternoon Dervla, for people who don't know you and your band could you introduce yourself?

Hello, I'm Dervla and i sing for A Long Time Dead, I'm 23 and I live in north west London. I've been singing for ALTD for a year and a half.

Can you tell us how A Long Time Dead came about?

The guys had been working together over many years. They had been jamming what is now ALTD for about six months at the time that i tried out for them. They have been very close friends of mine for many years so i was honored to join the group. After a few try outs, we decided to form under the name of A Long Time Dead and have been playing shows for a year and a half now.

Can you describe your sound?

yes, angry!


Whats going on in the ALTD camp currently?

We've just finished recording our first 4 track release, which hopefully should be out late August. We're very excited about this recording and how its come together. The record includes 3 songs we play live often and a brand new song which we're very proud of, i cant wait to get it out there and get going with playing more shows.


Now.. being a female vocalist do you find there is stereotypes that come with being one?
there are three possible answers to this question, yes, no, and what stereotype are you talking about...? i think I'm going with the latter, we are all individuals, regardless of gender, you're either good at what you do or you're not, i hope that me being a woman isn't a problem for people when they listen to our band and take it for what it is.


Have you found anyone hasn't taken you so seriously because you are female?
yep! i remember one of the first shows we played, the guy on the door was doing the rounds making sure everyone inside had paid, ALTD were still to sound check and this guy asks me to pay, so i tell him I'm 'in the band', he looks at me for 5 seconds and says 'are you sure...?' pure ignorance, i just allow it and aim to play even harder to make people like that feel like knobs :)

What first made you so obsessed with metal and music in general?

Ahh, the first metal band i ever listened to was papa roach! I was obsessed with nu metal when i was 15 years old. My tastes did change over the years. When someone gave me records by Metallica, Fear Factory, Tool, and Pantera I really fell in love with metal and the alternative way of life. As for music in general, I remember waiting months, when I was younger, for Xmas as my parents were getting me Michael Jackson's dangerous album on tape, I always loved music. I had always been into singing and performing from an early age and had vocal training when I was 13 and again at the age of 17. I've always taken my singing very seriously and still do.


Do you find it hard being a "metal" band coming from a hardcore scene?

I don't think we've come from a hardcore scene, I feel we've been embraced by it, which still amazes me, there's such a strong sense of community within hardcore music. As for being a metal band, I know we sound slightly heavier than some bands that we play with, but I feel the outcome is still the same, we're an angry band before we are any genre which has made it easy to play many different types of shows.
What are some of the highlights you guys have had so far., and some of the lows?

I know for me, my highlights have been playing carry on moshing at the start of the year, that show really opened my eyes to hardcore music. Then again playing anchorfest a few months back, we had a good reception from the crowd, and I feel that really helped getting our name out there. Also having just finished our EP, its sound so good! I cant wait to show it to people and to see what they make of it. I cant think of any lows, life is what you make it, I do my best to forget the bad and focus on the good :)


Do you find it hard to be noticed while being in a metal scene where allot of bands sound the same?

I feel we've never really sunk into the background at any metal shows, mainly because the hardcore element shines through at metal shows just as the metal shines through at hardcore shows. We tend to stick out no matter where we play, just like your strange cousin at those family weddings!

Are there any bands or records at the moment your really into?
YES! check out Here Lies Afflictions new EP Catharsis, amazing stuff, more metal, but they are still rockin' the hardcore elements. Also Beater, keep an eye on them, our bassist Moppy plays guitar for them, he's a Hench bastard so you can imagine how heavy they are!
Also check out these sexual bands
Hang the Bastard(new album out soon, siick!)
Broken Teeth
Back Down
Bun Dem Out
Prowler
Golden Tanks
Special Move
Lady Gaga (yes, seriously)
Hard Target


What do you hope the future holds for ALTD?

I hope that the EP is well received when it comes out later on this year, and hopefully we get to continue to play with amazing bands, and meeting awesome people.
Any shout outs?

YEP! All of the boys in HLA, Beater, Hang the Bastard, and Mark Scurr for recording our EP, World of tattoos for all your tattooing needs, and all my mates who are cool and always have time for me :) peace out xx




You can check out ALTD on there myspace.
And there new e.p will be out soon, fingers crossed!!