Thursday 10 June 2010

Rick (RickTattoo) Williams

Ricky is a top guy i started talking to awhile ago and keep on meaning to get tattooed by him but never get round to it.

Hes one of the people i started this blog for just so i could interview him.



Hello Ricky, can you introduce yourself to the readers please?
S'appening?! I'm from South London, now working from True Tattoo, but, originally apprenticed in Forevermore London, tattooing most of what was a year now? Maybe less. I write graffiti and love to watercolour paint, ohh and own a giant rabbit called Roger! 

Can you tell us how you first got into tattooing and want made you want to tattoo?

I was always into doing and drawing graffiti growing up as a kid, teaching friends , doodling sketches for them, painting names in peoples bed rooms, learning most from my cousin, but found my way into tattooing because of my girlfriend. She always had tattoos but one day came home with a huge diamond/heart/wings chest piece done from "irish-danny-boi" after getting some work done, I then realised what tattooing was all about then it came to me, this was what i wanted to do! Tattoo. So talked about putting my art onto skin instead of throwing it up on walls only to get cleaned off, then asked in a studio how I would go about getting an apprenticeship, luckily I got taken on there and then and now here I am with allot of thanks to Jonatah Andreozzi. Love you dude!




Can you describe your style to us?

 Umm.. easily - Old school, thick black lines, not perfect but there to stay, same with the colour; bold and full with allot of black shading. I was told to stick with an artist i liked and progress in redrawing classics rather then trying to create this crazy style of my own that every one is trying to do. I then started to work out of books like Doc Kings stencils or Sailor Jerry flash books whilst learning about true electric tattooing from old school masters like Bert Grimm, Herbert Hoffman, Paul Rogers, Bob Shaw, Percy Waters, the list goes on. Old-school is what is in my heart - swallows and daggers, hearts and banners, something your grandad can set his watch to...


You use only a few colours in your work, do you find this effective?

Black, red and yellow (maybe green) all compliment the piece. I find if I add blue I'm not so happy with the final result. Red roses and yellow leaves i love to do. Golden yellow is my favourite colour when tattooing, it stands out from the the rest and always draws my eyes to the tattoo when used right. I'm hoping soon I will tattoo a whole piece coloured only in block yellow! Maybe a golden pin-up or Gypsy's head, that would be cool.






You've really got your own style. when you started did you plan on being so different?

 I cant see it much myself, but when I first started I was always trying to be so different, adding extra heads, mixing animals up drawing things that were weird, but so weird no-one would get them tattooed! Apart from the ice lolly with tits and a cock for a nose. I love ugly old-school and sort of think in a strange way my work is ugly but in an appealing way...

You like other art forms like graffiti, do you think this translates into your tattoo designing?

To be honest I don't really add any graffiti elements into my tattooing style. I think it's been done before and can look really natural, for example, Deno from Tattoo Magic who gave me one of my favourite tattoos (gorilla neck piece) and then look really rubbish like ***** (I won't mention who). But no, that's not the style I'm going for at all. although graffiti related tattoos are always fun to do. Saying that, the old school tattoo style and graffiti have allot in common e.g with the simple but strong infill and outline making them both stand out art.








What are some of the other mediums you use when doing a piece of art?

Loads. I tend to use all sorts of things, starting from water colours, spray paint, felt pens all the way down to tipex or even boot polish, depending on wether it's on canvas, watercolour paper, floors, walls even objects like toy cars and kidrobot mannys, but sadly I don't have much time for things like that down to drawing tattooing designs with just pen and paper or painting flash which I miss doing on a daily basis. My rabbit hasn't been a medium... yet! Although he loves to get involved with everything i do..







Do you feel that tattooing is slowly becoming a more relaxed thing, and not so much a taboo?

I had to google the word 'taboo' haha. I think really a tattoo is apart of you. Obviously, as you're having pigment ink scarred into your skin for eternity, but its your choice and a way of living that you choose. Some people have to respect that, but getting to know the feeling of wearing a tattoo on your neck seems to be a "good idea" nowadays, or maybe getting your girlfriends or boyfriends name tattooed the sides of your hands! There's a fella, Bob Done, who always mad me laugh to talk about, kids with two fully only out lined Japanese sleeves done walking around thinking they know what they're talking about. Or over hearing them discuss a tattoo machine being reffered to as a gun. Asking to see your ink does not make me understand why so many people think its frowned upon when your Mum is paying for your 56 stars on your face...get tattooed if you love and respect the art not because Cheryl Cole has a turdy bit of tribal.








Apart from tattooing what other things would we catch you doing?

You might catch me writing my name on a wall, sitting around a friends purely doing f**k all. Driving in a car to random places to drive all the way back again, in the pub watching Chris play the fruity, random trips to Amsterdam (best place in the world I must chuck in), playing in the garden with my rabbit, spending time with the missus, drum and bass played a big part in my life so going raving every other night, watching my friends stare at the girls but being to shy to talk to them(!) basically anything that a normal 21 year old DOESN'T do at his age.

Has there been any tattoos that you've done that have totally blown you away?

 I tattooed two Mexican skulls on a friend, Lotti's feet. That came out really nice, she was such a star to put up with my brutal technique of tattooing, and still gets "wows" from people when she gets them out. What makes me happy is when my customer is blown away with me! And not forgetting the mermaid with 6 tits!






What are you hoping to do with tattooing in the future
Become someone with unique work, being a custom tattooist only; not doing all the s**t - just doing my thing, tattooing cool people. I'm not looking for fame or a name , I just want me and over people to be happy with my work.

Have you got any advice for people wanting to tattoo / looking to get tattooed?

Hoping not to sound too rude, there are enough twits out there wanting to become a tattooist who can't even draw a simple butterfly, or even a straight line. If you don't have anything to bring into the business don't make it harder for us to make a living. Trying not to sound like I think I'm the best, but once you're convinced your better then the rest you know nothing, but if your lucky to have a skill in something use it, don't try and be someone or something because you think your pussy rating will go up. I like to collect tattoos, choose some one you trust and let them do their thing, you will certainly get the best out of them, being fussy with a minor detail ruins the point of getting something from someone who's style you like!


 How would someone come about getting tattooed by your fine self?

If your honestly interested in getting tattooed, you can find me on google. Or just fly past the shop to say hello, info on contacting me is on my blog; www.rick-tattoo.blogspot.com. Or just text 07840452799